History


The Isle of Man Law Society is the oldest Manx professional body, formed by the Law Society Act 1859 passed by Tynwald. The Society was originally established to provide access to a Law Library, holding legal case histories and the profession’s reference books.  Over the years however, the Society’s role has developed significantly and apart from now dealing with the administration of the Society’s business and its interrelationship with government and other connected bodies, it has supervisory and regulatory functions in respect of its members and has responsibilities concerning the education and guidance to the membership as a whole.

In 1859 the Law Society was based in Castletown. It moved to Douglas in 1869 where it has remained ever since.